NEW SKATER CAMP
Seattle Derby Brats will hold New Skater Camp (NSC) in the Summer of 2023 and possibly other dates TBD. Please join our SUBSCRIBER MAIL LIST to be notified of Camp and Skating Program opportunities.
REGISTRATION CURRENTLY CLOSED.
- WHEN: TBD
- WHERE: Our facility near N.130th Street and Aurora in North Seattle.
- COST*: $300 – Scholarships may be available! See registration form for more information.
- RECOMMENDED PREPARATION: There is no minimum skill requirement but to be best prepared for camp, we recommend that skaters be able to skate forward without assistance for at least one lap of a standard skating rink before the first day of camp.
- WHO CAN ATTEND: The Seattle Derby Brats New Skater Camp and League is open to all girls and gender expansive individuals.
- PROOF OF VACCINATION REQUIRED: All ages of skaters and volunteers must be fully vaccinated (two shots plus two weeks) AND be boosted (if eligible) to participate in Camp.
- TOOTSY ROLLERS – 7-11/12 years old (must be 7 by September 1, 2022)
- JUNIOR MINTS – 11/12-17 years old (must be 11 by September 1, 2022)
Read on for information about gear, tryouts, and regular season play!
Questions? Email newskatercamp(a)seattlederbybrats.com
Campers will be required to wear full safety gear whenever they are on skates at camp. More information on gear and fit here: https://www.seattlederbybrats.com/resources/
Gear required at every camp:
- Quad skates – 4 wheels; no inline skates
- Properly fitted helmet – roller derby, multi-sport, hockey, or skateboarding helmets provide the most protection for your skater
- Knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards sized for your skater’s body
- Mouth guard – SDB skaters prefer SISU remoldable mouth guards
- Reusable water bottle, full at the start of each camp
- Snacks, in case skater gets hungry – SDB is unable to provide snacks during camp
- One dark gray shirt and one white shirt
Where to get gear:
- Buy local! Get Your Bearings Skate Shop has everything your camper will need AND they will help make sure your gear fits properly. They often have reduced-cost used skates on consignment.
- Buy online! There are several good online roller derby retailers.
- Sign up for roller derby gear swaps or second-hand gear groups on Facebook.
- SDB may have loaner gear, available on a first-come basis.
New Skater Camp is a fun way to learn basic skating skills and safety – anyone can sign up simply for the joy of skating. New Skater Camp skaters are not required to be evaluated for Seattle Derby Brats but those skaters who want to join the league should read on!
WHEN: Evaluations will be the Last Day of Camp
WHERE: Our North Seattle Facility
WHO CAN JOIN THE LEAGUE:
- Skaters aged 7-17 who are new to the sport of roller derby ELIGIBILITY: MUST attend New Skater Camp
- Email newskatercamp(a)seattlederbybrats.com for questions and information on eligibility to join in the 2022-23 SDB derby season
New Skater Camp Attendance Policy: We strongly encourage all skaters (especially those who are new to roller skating) to attend all the camp dates as we begin learning the basics of skating and safety right away. Skaters who are able to attend all dates will build an incredibly strong foundation of skills and gain the most benefit from the experience, regardless of whether they continue on to join the league. Attendance at all dates is NOT required to be eligible to join the league.
- Attending NSC camp and participating in League Placement DOES NOT guarantee placement in the league. Skaters will need to demonstrate that they are able to skate safely!
If your skater makes the league, they will be assigned to one of the following divisions with the following practice schedules:
- Tootsy Rollers, ages 7-10/11 years old. The youngest skaters in the league play the sport in a positional-only (not full-contact) version and learn the basics of roller derby skills. Tootsy skaters practice once a week.
- Division 1, ages 11-18 years old. Div1 skaters play positional-only (not full-contact) and build on basic skills to learn the foundations of roller derby strategy. Div1 practices up to twice a week.
- Division 2, ages 11-18 years old. Div2 are higher skilled and more experienced skaters, playing at a full-contact level. Div2 practices up to twice a week.
- Galaxy Travel Team: This is SDB’s full-contact, highest skill, elite travel team – these skaters compete regionally and nationally in JRDA-sanctioned bouts. Galaxy practices twice a week. All skaters interested in becoming part of SDB’s elite travel team are required to try out every year, even those previously rostered on the travel team. This try-out happens separately from the New Skater Camp try-outs, typically in late summer.